Clinical research and studies have shown that tooth whitening, when performed by a dental professional, is a safe, successful way to cosmetically improve the appearance of a smile. Many patients find the shade of their teeth discolored by coffee, wine, cigarettes, medication, or aging, and are looking for a lightening solution. To meet these requests, we offer several teeth whitening options at our Orange County office. Our in-office treatment, Zoom!®, is an extremely fast and effective alternative to other products that you see on the market. You are probably familiar with the brilliant results produced by Zoom!® if you’ve watched the ABC® television show Extreme Makeover. Or, if you would like to lighten your teeth at home, we provide take-home kits with customized trays. These personalized trays can be used alone or after an in-office treatment to maintain those fabulous results. Read on for more information about in-office and at-home bleaching; if you would like a Zoom!® tooth whitening treatment, contact OC Lifesmiles today for an appointment.
During a Zoom!® in-office tooth whitening treatment, we typically prepare the teeth with a gentle cleaning, and cover the surrounding gum tissue and skin for protection. We carefully coat the teeth in a hydrogen peroxide-based gel, and then aim a laser light at the teeth. The laser activates the hydrogen peroxide and helps it to penetrate the surface of the teeth. As the hydrogen peroxide breaks up, oxygen enters the enamel and dentin, breaking up stains and bleaching colored substances. The process lasts for about 45 minutes. Our doctors may recommend and supply the Zoom!® or Nite White® gel kits for an occasional touch up to keep teeth sparkling white.
The Benefits of an In-office Treatment
If you are a patient of OC Lifesmiles you may consider a Zoom!® tooth whitening treatment for the following reasons:
- Dramatic results in as little as one hour: After only one hour in the dentist’s chair, you will see the shade of your teeth improve considerably – up to eight shades!
- Painless: no drilling, injections, or filing – just a careful application of the gel and the gentle beam of a laser light.
- Relaxing, hands-off process: You can sit back and watch TV or listen to music as we apply the bleaching gel and direct the laser light at your teeth.
- Customized specifically for you: We can control the concentration of the gel to suit your needs and your desired results.
- Can be performed as part of a “Smile Makeover“: teeth whitening can emphasize the results of Invisalign® or another cosmetic dentistry option.
For individuals who prefer to whiten their teeth in the privacy of their own homes, we offer another option: customized take-home trays. The trays are crafted specially for the patient’s mouth, and can easily be filled with the bleaching material for whitening at any hour of the day. Our cosmetic dentist John Cross, DDS can provide more detailed instructions and recommendations for at-home bleaching over the phone or during an appointment.